UCRRA can offer technical guidance on how to improve your business recycling program. UCRRA Staff are available to help businesses plan, implement, or improve a waste reduction, recycling, or composting program. Contact the Recycling Coordinator at 845-336-0600 to learn more.
Tips for Better Recycling
- Recycling bins should be clearly labeled for employees and/or customers. If possible, color-code bins and use signs to identify the different bins and what materials can be recycled/composted/discarded. UCRRA offers free recycling/trash/compost stickers for businesses!
- Make sure recycling bins are always located directly next to trash bins.
- Keep a separate bin for deposit containers (water bottles, soda cans, etc) where employees have lunch or snacks. Use the funds from redemption or donate the funds to a local community group.
- Opt for reusable, durable supplies over disposable ones. Encourage employees to bring their own coffee mug. Offer condiments in bulk rather than individually-packaged.
- Use double-sided printing and copying as a default printer setting. Make sure there’s a recycling bin next to the printer station!
- Circulate memos and documents instead of printing multiple copies.
- Use electronic data storage instead of paper files.
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation // Recycling for Businesses
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation // Buy Recycled Products
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation // Reducing Office Paper Handbook
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation // How To Conduct WasteAudit2008.pdf
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation // Food Donation for Businesses
North East Recycling Council // Business Recycling Assistance Guide for the Northeast States
North East Recycling Council // Best Mgmt Practices for Zero Waste Planning
North East Recycling Council // Environmentally Preferrable Purchases for the Northeast
BPI Certified Compostable Serviceware Products // List
North East Recycling Council // Green Hotels Guide
NYS Pollution Prevention Institute // Guide: Managing Business Food Waste
NYS Association for Reduction, Reuse, Recycling // Food Donation Digital Tools
Environmental Protection Agency // Resources for Businesses
Environmental Protection Agency // Assessing Wasted Food
U.S. Composting Council // A Guide to Workplace Composting
Cornell Waste Management Institute // CompostingCaseStudies…becausearindCWMI.pdf
Cornell Waste Management Institute // Waste Prevention Tools at Work